Thursday, 4 June 2015

On the road

Five days on the road...and we finally have time to blog...well to be truthful, there has been time, but instead of blogging I've been reading and watching Outlander every night on the laptop! Ian has been cooking and setting up camp. I've been spoiled with tea and toast in  bed...cosy and warm on those frosty mornings.

 Our internet connection has been a bit dodgy the further west we have travelled. Tonight we are at Camooweal almost on the Northern Territory border and the internet is good, so time to blog and fill you in on our first four days on the road.

We headed off on Sunday... a short leg to Evans Head. We were delighted to secure a great site at the back of the park, next to thick bushland and a hundred metres from the beach. Setting off for a long walk, we explored the river but were not so delighted to return at dusk and discover that the bush and the sky were thick with fruit bats... that smelled awful and screeched ALL night.


Fruit bats in the sky overhead
Camp at Evans Heads
After we packed up camp, we headed north into Queensland. First stop to visit Aunty Maureen...and to catch up on the books she has been reading, and also enjoy one of the afternoon teas she is well known for!
With Aunty M
and then onto Toowoomba where Sue and Steve welcomed us to their lovely home on the edge of the range and looked after us very well with a beautiful meal and champagne.
Sue and Annie
Sue sent us off with home made carrot cake when we hit the road  for Mitchell in  the chill of tha Toowoomba morning.

Moon rise in the outback
Mitchell was freezing cold, but there was a lovely full moon rise. After a walk into the town, we cooked a camp stew and headed for the fire pit where we met some fellow travellers and shared stories of good places and not so good places to stay. Lots of blankets and a fan heater in the camper to keep warm overnight. We packed up a camper that was covered in ice (thank goodness for the gloves) and it was a balmy two degrees when we hit the road at eight thirty the next morning.
Camp set up in time for a warming camp stew
Sunset on the river at Mitchell

A morning tea stop on the road (And Sue's carrot cake) as we headed the six hundred kilometres to Longreach. The weather warmed the further north we drove.
The birthday Akubra

Still cold mid morning
Longreach...our first night on dusty red dirt... but with our own ensuite facilities on the site again. Glamping!

 We had a visit from a brolga after we set up camp.

The  day ended with a spectacular outback sunset and we were off to bed early as we had over eight hundred kilometres to travel to Camooweal the next day.
Sunset at Longreach

Back soon!

1 comment:

  1. Glad the carrot cake contributed to morning tea! Stunning sunset colours! Look forward to vicariously travelling with you to the west!